Board of Directors
The composition of the Board of Director's shall consist of no fewer than 10 and no greater than 15 members, with two members being current Head Start parents. The balance of the membership will include professionals from the community including one member to represent each of the following professional disciplines: expertise in financial management or accounting, expertise in early childhood education, and a licensed attorney familiar with issues that come before the governing body. Members must reside in one of the five counties served by Northern Panhandle Head Start Inc. and may serve two, three-year terms. Board members shall serve without compensation.
Board Member Code of Ethics
Board members have an obligation to do more than just meet legal standards. Board members are expected to meet moral standards of conduct as well.
As a member of this board I will:
- Represent the interests of all people served by this organization, and not favor special interests inside or outside of Northern Panhandle Head Start Inc.
- Not use my service on this board for my own personal advantage or for the advantage of my friends or supporters.
- Keep confidential information confidential.
- Approach all board issues with an open mind, prepared to make the best decisions for everyone involved.
- Do nothing to violate the trust of those who elected me to the board or of those we serve.
- Focus my efforts on the mission of NPHS and not on my personal goals.
- Never exercise authority as a board member except when acting in a meeting with the full board or as I am delegated by the board.
Board Member Job Description
- Understand responsibilities of a board member
- Understand the organization’s mission, programs and policies
- Attend board meetings – prepared
- Serve on a standing committee
- Make an annual inkind financial contribution to the organization in addition to serving on the board
- Attend social functions supporting the organization
- Be a public supporter of the organization
- Participate in at least one organizational service project/event
To learn how you can become involved with the agency as a board member, please contact Jackie Bell M.ED, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 304-233-3290 ext. 5001.